The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi announced the most ambitious plan named Jal Jeevan Mission – piped water supply to all households by 2024. In this post, the few Facts about the Jal Jeevan Mission by the Central Government will be discussed.
The important and useful facts about this Mission:
1. The Finance Minister in her speech during the Union Budget 2019-20 has announced the Central Government scheme named “Jal Jeevan Mission” to provide safe and adequate drinking water to every household in India by 2024.
2. The new Jal Shakti Mantralaya, (integrating the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation) will look at the management of our water resources and water supply in an integrated and holistic manner, and will work with States to ensure HarGharJal हर घर जल– (piped water supply) to all rural households by 2024 under the Jal Jeevan Mission.
3. The government has identified 1592 Blocks which are critical and over-exploited, spread across 256 Districts for the Jal Shakti Abhiyan. Besides using funds available under various Schemes, the Government will also explore the possibility of using additional funds available under the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) for this purpose.
4. This Mission will focus on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level, including the creation of local infrastructure for source sustainability like rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge, and management of household wastewater for reuse in agriculture.
5. The Jal Jeevan Mission will converge with other Central and State Government Schemes to achieve its objectives of sustainable water supply management across the country.
6. Therefore, the Government has estimated the cost to spend around Rs.3.5 Lakh Crores to achieve this Mission and implement the task successfully.
7. The Prime Minister appealed to all states to generate maximum community participation in the form of ‘Jan Andolan’ to achieve the target of functional household tap connection by 2024.