The sports weekly update for General Awareness Section for all competitive exams will be provided by us every week.
Here are the details of important events or tournament happened in Sports for the week of 4th to 10th August 2019: –
1. P V Sindhu, the female Badminton star, is the only athlete from India among Forbes list of world’s highest-paid female athletes. With total earnings of 5.5 million dollars, Sindhu is tied for the 13th place in The Highest-Paid Female Athletes 2019 list released by Forbes.
The total net worth includes the prize money, advertisement fee, salary and other perks received by the athletes.
2. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty win the Men’s double Thailand Open Title: The duo beat the current men’s doubles world champions 21-19, 18-21, 21-18 to clinch the Thailand Open title. The Indians held the lead for the latter half of the game with the Chinese pairing playing catch up. However, Rankireddy and Shetty held off the Chinese charge to take the game and the title.
3. Lewis Hamilton wins Hungarian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton regained his momentum in the drivers’ world championship with a memorable strategic victory over young rival Max Verstappen to triumph in a tense and thrilling Hungarian Grand Prix.
The 34-year-old defending five-time champion started at the third position on the grid in his Mercedes and, after stalking the 21-year-old Dutch tyro, finally wins the Hungarian Grand Prix. Hamilton’s record seventh win in Hungary and 81st of his career.
4. Vinesh Phogat, a female wrestler, wins a Gold medal in women’s 53 kg category in Poland Open Tournament. This is her third consecutive gold medal. Vinesh Phogat had won gold medals in Grand Prix of Spain and Yasar Dogu International at Istanbul, Turkey last month.
5. Bajrang Punia wins a Gold Medal at Tbilisi Grand Prix, Georgia. Bajrang Punia prevailed over Iranian wrestler in the finals in 65kg men’s category.
READ| get the daily updates