1. Don’t neglect NCERTs
2. Too much focus on reading Newspaper
3. Not focused and dedicated
– Focus and Dedication is very much required to crack an exam. Follow step by step your subject and topics and change the subject when you start feeling bored. But, losing dedication and focus from your preparation might move away from you from success.
To maintain focus and dedication, practice writing answers and writing notes may be helpful and also think of your dream that you want to be. You have to also properly chose your optional subject and the wrong decision can also lose your interest in the preparation.
4. The habit of reading and mugging up everything
– ‘One should know everything‘ is the biggest scam that every aspirant think. This is totally wrong. Smart work is very much required to crack the exam. I mean you have to follow the syllabus and follow that direction after evaluating the previous year question and pattern.
Mugging everything and unnecessary topics can demotivate when you won’t able to clear the exam. This will also bring tiredness and might miss the important topics in mugging up useless topics. So, focus and stick to the syllabus only will be beneficial as no one can learn everything in one’s life.
5. Not making Time Table
– Time management is an essential element required to achieve success. You have to manage your time table very well.
Dividing subjects and topics according to the time you have to study for the exams. It is very important to divide time wisely as per the level of the subjects. You might be weak in one subject and strong in the other and you only know which subject more time.
But in dividing time, don’t do the mistake of devoting more time to subject you like. The division should be equal to all subject as much as possible.
6. Not practicing Previous year questions
– Previous year questions are very important for every exam you prepare. Previous questions give you a picture of the exam and what type of questions they can ask.
So, download the question papers of the previous year and with each subject analyze the way questions are asked.
7. Not practicing Answer writing
– It is seen that many fail after Mains and if you ask them the reason they will say they could not write the answer or could not attempt all questions. It is just because of practice only. Aspirants sometimes only focus of reading and making notes and then revise them.
But practicing of writing answers is also an essential element that can give an edge over others. It not only increases speed but also helps you to know how much have to write and which questions are to attempt. So, write answers of questions and do a lot of practice.
8. Not confident at the time of Interview
– You know overconfidence not only dangerous but also not having confidence is also dangerous. Confidence is not stuff that can be bought and feed into one’s mind in a day. It takes time and of course, good things take time.
If you ask many candidates who appear for the Interview and fail, they will tell that they got nervous as there were 5 senior people panel who shot answers. The confidence is very much required that time as they don’t bother about your answer they bother about your confidence.
This is the confidence only that help you in your Mains as well as Interview. When you give even wrong answer but with confidence, can affect interviewer in a positive way. You win them an ace in the exam as the UPSC interview contains marks out of 275.
Best of luck and prepare with strategic way only can help in achieving your goal.